Posted on: 20-10-2014
International AAC Awareness Month is celebrated around the world each October. The aim is to raise awareness of augmentative and alternative communication and to inform the public about the many different ways in which people communicate using AAC devices.
ISAAC has chosen “Discovering Communication” as the theme, to continue the momentum from the ISAAC 2014 conference.
AAC Awareness events are held around the world. Here are some ideas and events that can inspire you to take part in this celebration:
- ’24 Hour Non Speech Challenge’ to only use alternative means of communication – such as writing, symbols, gestures, applications – for a day. To take part in the challenge, please visitwww.cscoe.com/defi_e.php
- Webinars on Social Media and People with Disabilities: Building Online Networks to Enhance Community Engagement and Create a Level Playing Field.
- AAC Awareness Month Giveaways by PrAACtical AAC
- In Croatia, the ICT-AAC Open Day will be held on October 17th as a special event for International AAC Awareness Month. Professionals and parents interested in the application of innovative information and communication services for persons with complex communication needs will participate. Two new applications developed within the ICT-AAC project will be presented.
- “Stop for a moment, listen to me” is the theme of AAC Awareness Week in Finland, October 6 – 12, 2014. Coordinated by Tikoteekki and the Developmental Disabilities Association, the week will feature events such as film screenings, Open Houses, workshops and discussions, all in support of communication solutions.
- USA- 6th Annual 24-Hour AAC Chat on Skype, Facebook and Twitter, beginning on October 22, 2014, at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time
- Australia – Silent Morning Tea, community events held through the month of October
www.isaac-online.org, communicationmatters.org.uk, praacticalaac.org