ASLTIP hero image


Rachel Barton

Hi Camilla,
I used to pay my childminder using childcare vouchers. It is a scheme specifically for parents to pay for childcare so would not cover Speech and Language Therapy as this is not a childcare service. To accept childcare vouchers as payment an organisation needs to be registered and approved with Ofsted as a child care provider. So hopefully this will be straight forward ‘no’ for you feed back to your service user. Here’s some more information from Edenred, one of the companies that runs this scheme:

What type of care can Childcare Vouchers be used for?
Childcare Vouchers can be used to pay for the care of children up to the age of 15 or 16 if they are disabled, including:

Home based care such as childminders, nannies and au pairs
Pre-school care such as nursery schools, play schools and crèches
Care for older children such as out of school clubs (breakfast clubs, afterschool clubs including activities, homework clubs and boarding, and holiday clubs)
You can use your Childcare Vouchers to pay more than one carer if you wish. The only condition is that your carer(s) will need to be registered with or approved by the appropriate body.

The current registration and approval bodies include:

Ofsted Childcare Register – Compulsory (England)
Ofsted Childcare Register – Voluntary (England)
Local Health and Social Services Trusts (Northern Ireland)
Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland (SCSWIS) (Scotland)
Childcare Approval Scheme (Wales)
The Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales

Hope that helps!